For the best, most intensely flavored onion soup, take some time and brown the onions until they are a deep mahogany brown. Baked with a baguette slice and melted cheese, this is one hearty soup. Add a salad, and you have a terrific light meal.
Cool soup completely then chill before assembling as above. Cover freezer-to-oven-safe bowl with foil and freeze. Bake frozen soup at 375 degrees until hot and cheese is melted and browned, about 45 minutes.
I use cannabis infused oil to medicate this recipe. My How to Make Marijuana Oil tutorial will teach you how to make it if you don't already know.
A note about the Dosing on this recipe!
This recipe will have about 20 mg THC per serving IF you made your oil from marijuana oil from average cannabis (10% THC) and used 1/2 ounce of marijuana to make 1 cup oil. To adjust the dosage up or down to meet your personal needs and to reflect the strength of the marijuana you are cooking with and the amounts you used to make your oil, be sure to take my basic Dosing course and use the dosage calculator tools that make it quick and easy to estimate dosages (even if you are NOT cooking with lab-tested marijuana.
Cheri's Dosage Calculators
Perfect dosing every time, even when not cooking with lab tested weed. Easy to use!
Marijuana French Onion Soup Au Gratin
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion large, such as Maui or Vidalia
- 2 shallots large
- 2 leeks large, white and pale green parts only
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cannabis infused olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices French baguette preferably day-old
- 1 1/3 cup Gruyere cheese shredded, or Swiss cheese
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add sweet onion, shallots, and leeks and sauté, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook the onion, still stirring every 5 minutes or so to scrape brown bits from the bottom of the pan, until the onions are deep brown, about 20 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and deglaze pan with the sherry, scraping up all the brown bits from the bottom.
- Cook until most of the sherry is gone, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cannabis oil and stir to combine.
- Add stock, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove bay leaf from soup.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar.
- Remove soup from heat and divide among 4 ovenproof bowls. Arrange bowls on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over the soup in the bowls.
- Add a baguette slice to each bowl and top with the remaining cheese.
- Place baking sheet of bowls under the broiler until cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.