The classic all-American dessert gets a Mary Jane style makeover with this delicious recipe for cute Mini Marijuana Apple Pie that is baked in, of all things, an ordinary canning jar lid!
Size Options When Making Marijuana Apple Pie
Whenever possible, I like to make medicated food in small servings, like these Mini Marijuana Apple Pies that are baked in ordinary 2-piece canning jar lids. Why? Because it makes portion control and dosage monitoring so much easier. There seems to be a psychological stop that keeps people from going back for a whole other pie, as opposed to taking "just a sliver more" off a large pie.
However, you could, alternately, use this recipe to make a single large apple pie. And while this recipe uses large wide-mouth canning jar lids to make 8 individual pies 3 1/2-inches in diameter, you could choose to use the smaller 2 3/4-inch canning jar lids to make about 12 tiny apple pies.
Preparing Apples for Marijuana Apple Pies
I like to use a variety of apples when I make pie, so I will usually mix it up depending on what's available in the markets. That said, my favorite pie varieties, when there is a choice, are Granny Smith, Braeburn, and Honeycrisp.
When making one large apple pie, I would normally peel and sliced the cored apples. However, when baking mini-pies in canning jar lids, you have a lot less space for filling, so I find it's better to cut the peeled cored apples into small-sized chunks.
Freezing Marijuana Apple Pie
Here's another great thing about these pies. You can roll the dough and fill them, then wrap well in foil and freeze, unbaked. Anytime you want a fresh from the oven medicated Apple Pie, pop one out of the freezer and put it in the hot oven to bake following the instructions below, but allowing an extra 5-10 minutes baking time.
Options for Medicating the Marijuana Apple Pies
You have 3 options when it comes to medicating the Marijuana Apple Pies:
- Medicate the pie crust. Don't get intimidated at the thought of making your own pie crust. If you have a food processor, it's easy. I show you how to make pie crust with video instructions at this link, where you'll also find my medicated Marijuana Pie Crust recipe. If you opt to medicate the crust, you can still use the filling recipe below, just substitute regular butter for the cannabis-infused butter and proceed as directed.
- Use a store-bought crust and medicate the filling. The recipe on this page is for Apple Pie Filling. I use Marijuana Butter to make it. The instructions at this link will show you how to make cannabis infused butter, if you don't already know.
- Medicate both crust and filling. If you are someone who needs a high dose of cannabis, pies like this one have so much butter in them, you can make it ultra strong. Obviously, this option is not for everyone, but I hear from enough patients dealing with chronic pain and other issues who require strong doses, and pie recipes usually provide ample ways to amp the dosage for those who need it.
Dosing for Cannabis Pies
Dosing When Medicating the Pie Crust
If you are using my Marijuana Pie Crust recipe, it's easy to alter the ratio of cannabis-infused butter to regular butter in the recipe to adjust the dosage for your individual needs. I encourage you to take my free online Edibles Dosing Class, to adjust the recipe to a dosage you need, or even better, use my Dosage Calculator tool that does all the math for you (see below). If you don't know what your optimal cannabis dosage is, this article can help you to discover it.
When making a double crusted pie like this one, I usually make two batches of pie crust, one medicated and one not. I use the medicated dough for the bottom crust and top with unmedicated dough. This accomplishes two things:
- It makes it easier to figure dosing as the bottom crusts are all the same size, where the top crusts may vary depending on the styles you opt to make.
- It improves flavor as the medicated part of the pie is only one small component, making the overall flavor of cannabis barely noticeable.
Cheri's Dosage Calculators
Perfect dosing every time, even when not cooking with lab tested weed. Easy to use!
Dosing When Medicating the Pie Filling
If you plan on medicating just the Apple Pie filling recipe on this page to make your Marijuana Apple Pies, this recipe will have about 10 mgs THC per pie (figured upon 8 servings using the larger Mason Jar lids), IF you made your marijuana butter from average cannabis (10% THC) and used 1/2 ounce of marijuana to make 1 cup butter. Again, my free dosing class can help you adjust this, or any other marijuana recipe, to meet your needs, which is one of the most important benefits of making your own!
How to Roll Out the Crusts for Medicated Mason Jar Lid Pies
No matter if you make my homemade Medicated Pie Crust or if you use a refrigerated pie crust dough you bought at the market, you will need to fill the Mason Jar lids to make the pies. The very first thing you need to do is to turn the lid insert upsidedown, the opposite of how you would use it if canning. This will make a metal bottom and sides for you Mason jar lid pie pan.
This video shows you how to do roll out the dough and make the bottom crust. Click to the pie crust recipe for more details and Part 1.
For those who prefer text and photo instructions:
1. Roll chilled pie crust dough (either homemade or store-bought) to a thickness of about 1/8-inch.
2. Cut a circle of dough slightly larger than the Mason Jar lid.
3. Fit dough into bottom and up the side of the canning jar lid.
4. Photo above shows the finished bottom pie crust, ready for filling.
Top Crusts for Marijuana Apple Pie
When it comes to topping mini pies, you can really have fun and get creative, or just roll out a circle and attach it like a traditional large pie. The techniques are the same if you are using my homemade Marijuana Pie Crust recipe or if you are using a store-bought refrigerated pie crust dough.
This video will give you some ideas when it comes to making the top crusts on your Mason jar lid marijuana pies.
Top Crust for a Traditional Style Marijuana Apple Pie
1. Fill bottom crust with about 1/4 cup of pie filling.
2. Cut a circle of dough, slightly larger than the circumference of the bottom crust.
3. Pinch the edges together.
4. Cut a few vents in the crust for steam to escape.
Making An Embossed Top Crust
1. Here's a slight variation on the traditional double-crusted pie. Roll out a circle as above then use the tines of a fork to press a decorative design into the dough. Top the pie as above.
Making a Lattice Top Pie Crust
The lattice crust pictured here did not make it to the video (as I kept working even after the crew left). To make a lattice topped pie:
1. Cut the dough into thin strips.
2. You can either weave the strips together on the rolling surface, as pictured, then transfer to the pie, OR, since these pies are so small, it's pretty easy to weave the dough strips right on the pie. Press down the edges, brush with an egg wash, and bake.
3. If weaving on the rolling surface, use a wide, floured spatula to transfer the lattice to the pie, the press down the edges before brushing wish an egg wash and baking (see recipe below).
This recipe is part of a much longer feature on making marijuana pies. Click here for lots more delicious medicated marijuana pie recipes, plus video and text tutorials to help you make AMAZING cannabis-infused mini-pies!
Marijuana Apple Pies Baked in Mason Jar Lids
- 1 recipe Cheri’s medicated Pie Crust for pie bottoms, see notes above
- 1 refrigerated pie crust dough
- 1 nonmedicated homemade or refrigerated dough for pie tops, see notes above
- 2 1/2 cups peeled largely diced apples
- 1 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons cannabis infused butter chilled
- 1 large egg beaten with 2 teaspoons water
- Prepare the bottom crusts. If you are making medicated pie crust from scratch, follow the directions in that recipe to roll out dough and make 8 single crust pies in canning jar lids (3 ½-inch diameter). Recipe link to medicated Pie Crust is in the notes above. If you are opting to use a crust you bought at the store, you won’t need to roll it out, but instructions for cutting and filling the Mason jar lids are the same. There is a video above this recipe that shows you how to do it. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon or lime juice. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together water, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, lower to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in apples and cook for about 4 minutes or until just starting to soften.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Fill the 8 prepared Canning Jar lid pie crusts with about 1/4 cup filling each.
- Cut the chilled cannabis butter into tiny pieces. Dot each filled pie with about 1/2 teaspoon chilled cannabis butter.
- Top the pies with a second crust, see notes above for ideas and instructions.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown.
- Let cool completely before removing from the Mason Jar “pie pans” by carefully pushing up from the bottom to remove the ring, then using a knife to slide the pie off the metal disc and onto a plate. While this may sound complex, it’s actually quite easy to do in practice.