The classic Southern Pecan Pie gets a Mary Jane style makeover with this delicious recipe for cute Mini Marijuana Pecan Pies that are baked in, of all things, ordinary canning jar lids!
Size Options When Making Marijuana Pecan Pie
Whenever possible, I like to make medicated food in small servings, like these Mini Marijuana Pecan Pies that are baked in ordinary 2-piece canning jar lids. Why? Because it makes portion control and dosage monitoring so much easier.
However, you could, alternately, use this recipe to make a single large pecan pie. And while this recipe uses large wide-mouth canning jar lids to make 10 individual pies 3 1/2-inches in diameter, you could choose to use the smaller 2 3/4-inch canning jar lids to make about 14 tiny pies.
Freezing Marijuana Pecan Pie
Here's another great thing about these pies. You can roll the dough and fill them, then wrap well in foil and freeze, unbaked. Anytime you want a fresh from the oven medicated Pecan Pie, pop one out of the freezer and put it in the hot oven to bake following the instructions below, but allowing an extra 5-10 minutes baking time.
Options for Medicating the Marijuana Pecan Pies
You have 3 options when it comes to medicating the Marijuana Pecan Pies:
- Medicate the pie crust. Don't get intimidated at the thought of making your own pie crust. If you have a food processor, it's easy. I show you how to make pie crust with video instructions at this link, where you'll also find my medicated Marijuana Pie Crust recipe. If you opt to medicate the crust, you can still use the filling recipe below, just substitute regular butter for the cannabis-infused butter and proceed as directed.
- Use a store-bought crust and medicate the filling. The recipe on this page is for Pecan Pie Filling. I use Marijuana Butter to make it. The instructions at this link will show you how to make cannabis infused butter, if you don't already know.
- Medicate both crust and filling. If you are someone who needs a high dose of cannabis, pies like this one have so much butter in them, you can make it ultra strong. Obviously, this option is not for everyone, but I hear from enough patients dealing with chronic pain and other issues who require strong doses, and pie recipes usually provide ample ways to amp the dosage for those who need it.
Dosing for Cannabis Pies
Dosing When Medicating the Pie Crust
If you are using my Marijuana Pie Crust recipe, it's easy to alter the ratio of cannabis-infused butter to regular butter in the recipe to adjust the dosage for your individual needs. I encourage you to take my free online Edibles Dosing Class or use my handy Dosage Calculator tools, to adjust the recipe to a dosage you need. If you don't know what your optimal cannabis dosage is, this article can help you to discover it.
Dosing When Medicating the Pie Filling
If you plan on medicating just the Pecan Pie filling to make your Marijuana Pecan Pies, this recipe will have about 30 mgs THC per pie (figured upon 10 servings using the larger Mason Jar lids), IF you made your marijuana butter from average cannabis (10% THC) and used 1/2 ounce of marijuana to make 1 cup butter. Again, my free dosing class can help you adjust this, or any other marijuana recipe, to meet your needs, which is one of the most important benefits of making your own!
Cheri's Dosage Calculators
Perfect dosing every time, even when not cooking with lab tested weed. Easy to use!
How to Roll Out the Crusts for Medicated Mason Jar Lid Pies
No matter if you make my homemade Medicated Pie Crust or if you use a refrigerated pie crust dough you bought at the market, you will need to fill the Mason Jar lids to make the pies. The very first thing you need to do is to turn the lid insert upsidedown, the opposite of how you would use it if canning. This will make a metal bottom and sides for you Mason jar lid pie pan. This video shows you how to do roll out the dough and make the bottom crust. Click to the Pie Crust Recipe for more details and Part 1.
For those who prefer text and photo instructions:
1. Roll chilled pie crust dough (either homemade or store-bought) to a thickness of about 1/8-inch.
2. Cut a circle of dough slightly larger than the Mason Jar lid.
3. Fit dough into bottom and up the side of the canning jar lid.
4. Photo above shows the finished bottom pie crust, ready for filling.
This recipe is part of a much longer feature on making marijuana pies. Click here for lots more delicious medicated marijuana pie recipes, plus video and text tutorials to help you make AMAZING cannabis-infused mini-pies!
Mini Marijuana Pecan Pies Baked in Mason Jar Lids
- 1 recipe Cheri’s medicated Pie Crust see notes above
- 1 refrigerated pie crust dough
- 1/4 cup cannabis-infused butter*
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/8 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoon whole milk or half and half
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups pecans chopped
- Prepare the crusts. If you are making medicated pie crust from scratch, follow the directions in that recipe to roll out dough and make 10 single crust pies in canning jar lids (3 ½-inch diameter). Recipe link to medicated Pie Crust is in the notes above. If you are opting to use store bought pie crust dough, you won’t need to roll it out, but instructions for cutting and filling the Mason jar lids are the same. There is a video above this recipe that shows you how to do it.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt the cannabis butter and butter together and allow to cool. *Note that if you are using a medicated pie crust, you might not want to medicate the filling, in which case, use 1/2 cup regular butter.
- Mix the flour, brown sugar and salt together in a medium bowl. Beat in eggs and milk or half and half and mix until smooth.
- Beat in the vinegar, vanilla extract, and melted butter until evenly mixed.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Fill the 10 prepared Canning Jar lid pie crusts and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until crusts are golden brown and filling is just set and slightly puffy. Filling will continue to set after the pies are removed from the oven.
- Let pies cool completely before removing from the Mason Jar “pie pans” by carefully pushing up from the bottom to remove the ring, then using a knife to slide the pie off the metal disc and onto a plate. While this may sound complex, it’s actually quite easy to do in practice.